Annotations are the Bookmarks, Highlights and Notes that you add to your titles. This topic describes how to create, delete, label and place annotations.
You can now label annotations with a color and with text so they can be quickly and easily found, searched and filtered. For example, if you worked in the legal profession and were simultaneously preparing for two cases at the same time, you could choose two different color labels to help distinguish between the two cases.
To add a bookmark:
- Select the bookmark icon at the top-right of the page.
- Choose a Color Label for the Bookmark.
- Optionally, you can add a text description to make it easier to identify the bookmark later. To add or edit a text description, Select the area where you see “No Description” and then enter your text.
Note that you can create multiple bookmarks for the same page by simply selecting extra Color Labels. The number on the bookmark icon at the top right side of the page indicates how many bookmarks are created for this page. To remove a bookmark, just choose which one and deselect, then save.
To add a highlight:
- Select the text you wish to highlight.
- Choose Highlight from the menu.
- Select a Color Label. The highlight is now created. Note that you can only apply one Color Label to a highlight.
- Choose anywhere outside of the popup to close and cancel.
- From the popup you can Add a Note, Edit labels, or Remove the highlight.
To change the label color of a highlight:
- Select the highlight you wish to edit.
- Choose a different Label Color.
To remove a highlight:
- Select the highlighted text.
- Choose Delete. The Highlight will then be removed.
To add a Note:
- Select and hold to choose the text where you'd like to add your Note.
- Choose Add Note.
- Type your Note and choose a Color Label.
- Choose Close.
A colored highlight will be applied to the selected text and a Note icon will show in the margin. Select either of these to see your Note.
To remove a note:
- Select the highlighted text
- Choose Delete Note
Using the annotations panel
The Annotations panel displays all the Bookmarks, Highlights and Notes you have added to a title. Within the panel you can filter and search your annotations by type and/or Color Label.
To open the Annotations Panel:
- Enter the Reader by opening a title from your Library.
- Choose the Annotations icon from left-side toolbar.
To filter your Annotations according to type e.g. Bookmarks, Highlights and Notes:
- Open the Annotations Panel in the Reader.
- Choose Bookmarks, Highlights or Notes. Choosing "All" will show all types together in a single list.
Note that when you perform a Search in the Annotations Panel, the Search will only operate on the chosen Annotation type. For example, if you are looking at Bookmarks, the Search will only search Bookmarks.
To filter your Annotations according to the color in the label:
- Open the Annotations Panel.
- Choose to open the list of Color Labels.
- Choose the Color Label to use as a filter.
The list will update to show only those Annotations marked with that color label.
You can search your annotations. The search will be performed against the bookmark descriptions, the text that is highlighted, and the contents of your notes. It will only operate on your chosen view. For example, if you have selected to view only Bookmarks, then it will only Search those Bookmarks.
To do a text search of your Annotations:
- Open the Annotations Panel.
- Type your query into the Search field.
Copying annotations between versions of a title
Bookmarks, highlights and notes will often be automatically copied to from an older to a newer version of a title when you download the updated version. If this doesn't happen, you can do so manually:
- In the library, choose Import Annotations from the title detail pane.
- Choose the title of the previous version (the version from which you want to import the annotations).
Your annotations will then be imported and placed in the same places as previously. However, if the title no longer contains the original text, the imported annotation will be stored in the Displaced Annotations panel.
Displaced Annotations are annotations that, having been transferred from a previous version of the title, cannot be placed in the newer title because contents of the title has changed.
To access your Displaced Annotations:
- Open the Annotations panel.
- Filter the list by Bookmark, Highlight or Note.
- Choose the Displaced Annotations button at the bottom of the panel. If no button is present, then the title has no Displaced Annotations.
To relocate a Displaced Boomark:
- Open Displaced Bookmarks panel within the Annotations panel.
- Find the Bookmark you'd like to relocate.
- Navigate to the page where you would like to place the Bookmark.
- Choose the Bookmark in the Displaced Annotations panel and choose Move Bookmark to this Page.
To relocate Displaced Highlights and Notes:
- Open Displaced Highlights or Notes panel within the Annotations panel.
- Find the item you'd like to relocate.
- Choose Search Title for Displaced Text. The title will then be searched for the exact text that matches the highlighted text from the previous version of the title and the results returned.
- Choose from the results and choose Place Highlight/Note.
For all annotations, if no exact text match can be found, then you are given the option to jump to the section where you originally placed your Note. You can then manually place the Annotation.
To manually relocate a note:
- Choose the Note you wish to place from the panel on the left.
- Select and hold the text to which you'd like to relocate your Note.
- Choose Attach Displaced Note.
To delete a Displaced Annotation:
- Find the annotation you wish to delete in the Displaced Annotations panel.
- Choose the annotation and Select Delete.